Book your consultation

Book Now Mobile

What to Do If Hurt in a Hit & Run Car Accident? Jameson Law

Table of Contents

What to do if you are injured in a “Hit and Run” motor vehicle accident?

In the usual scenario, when you sustain injuries in a car accident, you can file a claim with the CTP (Compulsory Third Party) Insurance provider of the vehicle responsible for the accident.

However, what if you cannot determine who caused the accident, or the vehicle involved is not registered with a CTP Insurance provider? Insurance coverage, except for very severe injuries covered by the National Injury Insurance Scheme, typically relies on identifying the responsible party and the extent of personal injuries. This can be challenging when:

  • “Hit and run”.
  • The driver of the at-fault vehicle cannot be identified.
  • The vehicle involved is not registered.

In such situations, it may initially appear that there is no CTP insurer for the vehicle at fault, and consequently, no insurer to compensate the injured person.

In any of these circumstances, there exists the possibility of pursuing a claim against the Nominal Defendant, which serves as the CTP Insurance provider when an unidentifiable, unregistered, or uninsured motor vehicle is at fault in an accident.

As part of the insurance system established to provide coverage for individuals injured in road accidents, the Nominal Defendant has been functioning as a statutory entity and operating under the Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994 (MAIA) to provide compensation to victims in these specific scenarios.

Nominal Defendant Claim

A Nominal Defendant claim is made directly to the State Insurance Regulatory Authority, who will then allocate you a CTP insurer who will manage your claim and pay you compensation if your claim is successful. This claim should be made within 6 months from the date of the hit and run accident.

However, for individuals over 18 who wish to initiate a claim against the Nominal Defendant for an unidentified vehicle, you must provide written notice to the Nominal Defendant within three months of the incident under the MAIA. Failing to do so without a reasonable excuse will result in the inability to file a personal injury claim against the Nominal Defendant. Additionally, the claim must be formally initiated by submitting a fully compliant Notice of Accident Claim form to the Nominal Defendant within nine months of the accident or the initial appearance of symptoms, with no possibility of extension.

Time is of the essence because without establishing proper inquiry and search, the Nominal Defendant cannot be held liable due to the inability to confirm the unidentified status of the at-fault vehicle. Given these stringent time constraints when filing a claim against the Nominal Defendant for an unidentified vehicle, it is crucial to seek legal advice from Jameson Law to ensure you meet these deadlines.

Proper Inquiry and Search

To establish a claim against the Nominal Defendant for an unidentified vehicle, you must demonstrate that you have undertaken all reasonable efforts to identify the at-fault vehicle, a process referred to as the ‘Proper Inquiry and Search.’ According to Section 31(2) of MAIA, if it is confirmed through affidavit or oral evidence that proper inquiry and search have been conducted but failed to identify the motor vehicle, it is presumed that the vehicle cannot be identified.

What Steps Should I take if I'm Involved in a "Hit and Run" Motor Vehicle Accident?

If you find yourself in a similar situation, even if you do not experience immediate injuries, it is advisable to take the following steps:

  • Notify the local police immediately.
  • Seek out nearby witnesses.
  • Contact nearby residents, businesses, and the local Council to inquire about available CCTV footage.
  • Conduct door-to-door inquiries in the vicinity of the accident.
  • Distribute flyers and seek witnesses, dash cam footage, or CCTV footage.
  • Place advertisements in the local newspaper to locate potential witnesses or footage.

If your claim for the Nominal Defendant is approved, you may be entitled to compensation for:

  • Medical, rehabilitation, and hospital costs, which also cover potential future expenses.
  • Loss of income or earning potential, including potential future income loss.
  • Reparation or replacement of damaged property.
  • Expenses related to home modifications and attendant care.
  • Compensation for pain, suffering, and the loss of life’s pleasures, provided your whole person impairment exceeds the 10% threshold.

Jameson Law can assist you in such circumstances, ensuring that your claim adheres to the stricter timeframes applicable to these cases and that proper inquiry and search efforts have been undertaken to identify the CTP Insurer of the at-fault vehicle or to establish a claim against the Nominal Defendant.


02 8806 0866

Book Online


Explore More Legal Resources and Articles

6 Bike Accident QAs for Personal Injury Compensation Lawyers

Civil Lawyer property damage questions Hi, I’m in a bit of a weird boat. Saturday night I was in an accident where I was cut off and T Boned a BMW on the Great Western. I lost consciousness and when I came to I was in a neck brace, hip brace and on a spinal board before going in an ambulance. I didn’t speak to the other driver at all. Police were on the scene and got the other driver’s name, date of birth and license plate and that’s all. I’ve got no idea what details of mine have been given to him. The other driver told police he did have comprehensive insurance and he was at fault so I’d be covered by his insurance. I’ve got no idea how bad the crash/damage was for him, I just know my bike is a write-off. I’ve logged a CTP claim against his CTP insurance. I’ve got no insurance either Third Party or Comprehensive as I had it set on direct debit/auto renewal and it simply expired in March and I just never realised (like an idiot). Is there any way for me to chase up him/his insurance/compensation with the details I have? Will logging the CTP claim automatically pass my details onto him and trigger his comprehensive? Hi traffic lawyers, just got involved in an accident today. I was coming straight up a road when an Audi stopped on the left kerb side, decided to pull right and turn into a driveway. My instant reaction was to brake and buffer towards the right but unfortunately, that still wasn’t enough to save the day and I ended up t-boning his right. The guy claims he’s not in the wrong as he should only be looking forward not backwards. For context. The road is suburban and can fit just about 4 cars across. So from my understanding cars on the kerb are considered like parked cars. Whose is right here? What can be done? Looking for some advice re: an insurance situation I’m caught up in. Late last month an older lady knocked me off my MT-09 SP motorbike by running into a roundabout, I took a small tumble and banged up all my gear and my bike. The bike was determined to be an economic write-off, all the fairings were scratched up etc. My issue is mostly regarding my gear. The cost to replace everything that was damaged is $1700, but the lady’s insurance company Allianz is only willing to pay $1355, citing 20% depreciation and a magistrate most liking ruling in their favour. Is it worth fighting them on this? Has anyone been involved in a similar situation? My insurance company QBE has been completely useless in my situation, their motorcycle claims department has not been open for 3 weeks. I’ve only got third party with them anyway so not sure if they’ll even represent me. Thanks in advance. I heard someone say that failing to wear motorcycle gear can reduce your compensation amount in a lawsuit. This is an interesting insight into the legal repercussions of failing to wear your motorcycle gear; is it completely true? So yesterday I got hit by an expensive Mercedes on a roundabout and it was his fault he admitted on the spot. However no witnesses or cameras. Me and the bike are fine but his car is pretty messed up (and his licence looks a bit dodgy lol) I do not have insurance (but i don’t think that would help since I’m not making a claim or at fault). I just wanna know how I can cover myself in case he accuses me or his insurance says it was my fault (it has happened before). Thanks Motorbike accident questions I need some advice. I was travelling in the right lane of two lanes. The left lane had a parked car and the van travelling in the left lane approaching the parked car moved over into my lane and hit me and failed to stop or exchange details. I went to the police and made a statement but the officer told me that if I wasn’t in front of the van then the van has right of way. I thought he should be giving way. Thank you!! So my bike gets knocked over yesterday by a taxi. The bike is in very bad Shap would say it’s a wright off [write off]. The taxi driver goes and drives off but someone got his number plate and the company he works for. So I ring up and told them what happened and he tries to delete it from the on board computer. Which then I say you can track him through his GPS. So they do find out this happened. So no I want his details so I can talk to him and see what he is going to do about paying for my bike. The taxi company say they can’t give me his details to get to the police. The police tell me that they can’t get involved as it’s the taxi company will have to pay out if the driver doesn’t. I ring back and ask again very nicely if I could have the driver’s details and I get back “I have been told this three times, I told you to go to the police”. I would love a little bit of help would be very appreciative. Thanks Motor Vehicle Accident Compensation Claim for motorbike Hey, Im wondering if anyone has any advice and guidance around a recent motorbike accident I had. On Cumberland x Horsley drive accross frangos, I rode between the parked cars and the stationary cars at the red light, but as I was approaching the lights riding within the 30kmh limit, a parked car opened their door and I hit the door and other cars before I fell. Broke a thumb and foot. Who is at fault? I am aware of road rule 269(3) but the police wants to


Book your consultation