NSW will officially kill off hard copy Certificates of Title
On 11 October 2021, New South Wales will officially kill off hard copy Certificates of Title. All lodgements for certificates will be completed electronically and the hard copy certificate will be cancelled and replaced with an electronic version.
What does this mean for landowners?
- When you purchase property, regardless of the method, you will not receive a hard copy of the certificate.
- If you have a mortgage and the bank is in possession of your Certificate of Title, you can notify the bank that you want the certificate. While it no longer holds legal value, it is still your personal property.
- You won’t receive the certificate after paying off your mortgage
- Pre-existing hard copy certificates are no longer legally valid
- You will only be able to conduct land transactions through a conveyancing solicitor registered to the Electronic Lodgement Network (ELN) – Yes Jameson Law is registered!
Talk to your conveyancer
For more information about how the Certificate of Title changes will impact on you and your conveyance, for assistance in conducting a land transaction, contact our office for a free initial consultation.