Book your consultation

Book Now Mobile

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH122: Drama in the Sky & the Fallout

Table of Contents

On a routine flight from Sydney to Kuala Lumpur, passengers on Malaysia Airlines flight MH122 were thrust into a state of unease when a man’s alarming behaviour forced the plane to divert back to its point of departure.

About thirty minutes into the flight, Muhammad Arif, a 45-year-old former Pakistani model and actor, rose from his seat and began disrupting the calm ambience of the cabin. Passengers recount that Arif, before the outbreak of his aggressive behaviour, drew attention by praying aloud. To many, it was initially perceived as a benign act of faith. However, the situation escalated when he began pushing and shoving fellow passengers, making implications of possessing explosives in his backpack. Arif’s exclamations, “My name is Mohammed, slave of Allah,” have since echoed through various media outlets, further fueling public interest and concern.

Given the immediate threat, the pilot made the decision, underpinning the “interests of safety,” to return the flight to Sydney. Malaysia Airlines affirmed in a statement that the “safety and comfort of our crew and passengers are of utmost importance.”

Upon landing in Sydney, the plane was greeted by an entourage of emergency services. Passengers were confined within the aircraft for almost three hours, amplifying their distress. Notably, Velutha Parambath, one of the passengers, highlighted that the uncertainties were further exacerbated by real-time news, suggesting a potential bomb threat on the aircraft.

New South Wales Police Commissioner, Karen Webb, defending the delay, emphasized that ensuring passengers’ safety is paramount and the situation required a meticulous approach.

The incident had a ripple effect on air travel, with 32 domestic flights cancelled and delays of up to 90 minutes for other flights departing from Sydney Airport.

The Legal Consequences:

Upon the flight’s emergency landing, Arif was swiftly taken into custody, facing charges of making a false statement regarding a threat to damage an aircraft and failing to obey cabin crew safety instructions.

In Australian law, such accusations carry severe consequences. Making a false statement about a threat to an aircraft is a grave offence that can lead to a maximum of 10 years in prison. Meanwhile, not complying with crew safety instructions can incur a fine of over 15,000 Australian dollars ($7,300).

As the case unfolds, Arif’s defence cites his mental health as a significant factor, emphasizing that he was “not in the right state of mind.” This defence highlights the intricate relationship between criminal behaviour and mental health, and how legal proceedings often require nuanced expertise to navigate these complexities.

Arif now faces charges of making a false statement about a threat to damage an aircraft and failing to comply with cabin crew safety instructions. If convicted, he could face up to 10 years in prison and a hefty fine. The court proceedings have been temporarily halted, as Arif’s defence lawyer cites his “serious mental issues” and current mental state as reasons for his client’s non-participation.


02 8806 0866

Book Online


Explore More Legal Resources and Articles


Book your consultation

Scroll to Top